Friday, February 20, 2009

Food Waste for the Week

Food Waste Reduction Challenge - February 2009

Here's what got wasted this week:

Nothing! (The picture looked too empty with nothing in it, so I included the pitcher of water.) Hooray! My first week with no food waste!

I'm thrilled, of course. The week of no waste comes at an interesting time because I've had occasion to think of how ancient societies have avoided waste in the past. Looking ahead to my menu plan and grocery shopping for next week I realized that Tuesday is Mardi Gras, or Fat Tuesday. And in our home that means pancakes. And why pancakes?

As I understand it, it has been fairly common practice since the Middle Ages to prepare for the austerity of Lent by purging the pantry of luxurious foods such as eggs, butter and milk. Making big batches of pancakes became a way of using up all the fat in the house so that it wouldn't be wasted. Pretty cool, huh?

I'm especially excited about Mardi Gras (also fondly known as Pancake Day in our house) because, thanks to the Frugal Girl, I've learned of a new pancake recipe that uses all whole-wheat flour and looks delicious. Now you know exactly what I'll be making on Tuesday and I encourage you to join me. Laissez les bons temps rouler!

No comments: