Sunday, August 23, 2009

A Boy and His Uncle

My younger (by 12 years) brother spent a day with us last week and it was so much fun. He lives in NYC so we don't get to see him as much as we'd like, but it is always great when we do. He has always been wonderful with G. But there has been an interesting development since we last saw him in June: G got a hand-me-down video game system from his older cousins. (A Game Boy, I think. I really don't know.) I never played home video games as a kid (I did enjoy the occasional trip to the arcade for a game of Pac Man, but that was the extent of it.), and so I have no idea how to help my young son with his new interest. His dad tries his best, but he's not much help either.

So it was with great joy that G discovered that his uncle not only knew how to play the game (Super Mario? Again, I'm not sure.), but he was a skilled teacher as well. I wasn't thrilled that the game came to the dinner table (that's them asking for one more minute in the pic below), but their enthusiasm was contagious (and they did put it away after a minute) and truly delightful.





And, amazingly, the game was even put away for classic old-school boy fun - toy soldiers!



All in all it was a fabulous visit. This week I'm rejoicing in the wonderful bond between my boy and his uncle.

6 comments:

Colleen said...

Beautiful! I can see the joy and love on their faces!
It is great to be with family. We just spent two weeks with my (huge-8 siblings and their children) family in Delaware at the beach. It was a blast! Even my 14 year old loves it. He is the oldest cousin, the next one is 8 yrs younger and there are 10 younger than that! Lots of toddlers.
How great your that your brother came to visit!

Angela said...

I like the mixture of the old and the new games.

How great that your son has such an involved uncle, and that you all can visit him in fabulous NYC! What fun!

Stacey said...

Hi Colleen! Wow! It is is wonderful to hear that you had such a fabulous time with your huge family! (My family - just 2 sibs and only one has children- is tiny in comparison!)

We will spend a week at the beach with friends (including Ruthie and her kids!) in September and it will be my first with a diverse mix of folks and I have been wondering what it will be like. Your obvious enthusiasm for the "more-the-merrier" is just what I needed to hear!

Stacey said...

Hi Angela! Yes, I love the mix, too! G will often play with a computer game one minute and then sidewalk chalk the next!

And, yes, it is great that my bro lives in NYC - and it's time to plan our next visit there soon!

Colleen said...

How great that you are going to get to spend a week at the beach with Ruthie and her family and other friends!! Have a wonderful time, I am imagining lots of laughs and wonderful memories being made! Enjoy!

Stacey said...

Hi again, Colleen!

Yes! A week at the beach with Ruthie and family - I am the luckiest gal in the world. :-)