Sunday, March 8, 2009

Including Moderation

One of my favorite sayings is "Everything in moderation - including moderation." I *usually* practice thrift and enjoy simple pleasures. But sometimes - especially around birthdays - I like to go over the top a bit.

This week I'm rejoicing in excess.

It was D's birthday on Tuesday: It all started with a simple - almost frugal - banana cake.



Then on Wednesday my parents took us to dinner at D's choice of restaurants - an adorable French bistro. I got a peek at the bill for the evening's revelry and it exceed what I spent on food for my family last month. Sacre Bleu! C'est magnifique!





And then Friday night we had a party with D's friends - and another cake, of course.



And what a cake it was! Our friend couldn't be bothered with a fork and opted to inhale it. (She made me promise I wouldn't post this picture on Facebook. I've kept to the letter of the law, if not the spirit. :)

My parents were back this evening to look after the kids so the adults could have a little more ribald (and I mean ribald!) fun, but after several hours they had to go home and G got to indulge in his favorite past-time - telling jokes, of course!


As you can see, he had the crowd in stitches. I think he's going to be responsible for the return of vaudeville.

It's a good thing we have a couple of months before our next birthday extravaganza - G's 4th! - and the Taqueria truck rolls into our driveway once again. I think we will have recovered by then.

No comments: