Monday, January 8, 2007

Fueled by The Sun

A funny thing happened moments after I received the February issue of The Sun in the mail - I quickly scanned the contents page as I always do, looking for a submission from one of my favorite Sun writers, Poe Ballantine. He is absent, but an essay by one of the Sun staffers quickly got my attention. It's titled Abuelita and it's about the writer's experience having a Colombian woman care for her infant child. The fact that she and I both have a Spanish-speaking childcare provider who has become like a family member is not such a big coincidence. But the fact that I thought about writing about it, but hadn't is what is bothering me. Seeing that essay in print gave me the shot in the arm I needed. It came on the same day I saw that WNC Woman magazine is looking for pieces about women travelling the world. And I've travelled the world and even written about it already. I just need to get it out there. I've also been getting many other nudges from the universe to write the children's story I've been thinking about for several years now. It's about a child who loves a bear, but the take-home message is that all beings crave autonomy. So writing about my plans here, again, makes them seem more real and I feel more accountable. I'll keep you posted on the progress.

No comments: