Sunday, July 8, 2007

Happy Plans

I know, I should have taken a picture, but I didn't even think about it until it was gone. I was at the tomato bushes last night, training the vines up the netting, when I spied the first, perfectly ripe, Sun Gold tomato. Even though I have been at the plants day and night, willing them to ripen before we take a long trip to California at the end of the week, I was surprised by the sight of it. And my first thought was, "Oh my gosh, so soon?" The next thought only involved popping it into my mouth. Sun Golds are a tiny cherry tomato, and a lovely golden red when they are ripe. Still warm from the setting sun, the skin was taut and offered a bit of satisfying crunch before it yielded to the silky fruit with a tart-sweet flavor. Only one. Truly an amuse-bouche. When I can sit down to a plate of them with my own home-grown basil *and* homemade mozarella, it will be heaven.

Wait, you say, *homemade* mozarella? Yes! I just ordered the supplies (a thermometer and rennett) this morning from New England Cheesemaking Supply Co. Barbara Kingsolver sings the praises of homemade cheese and says it really is not that hard -only 30 minutes from milk, to curds and whey, to voila!, the perfect caprese.

I also ordered the book Putting Food By and have a date with T and anyone else who is interested (anyone?) to come to my house and can tomatoes. (A, V, and M also offers one recipe that, slightly altered, makes enough barbeque sauce, sweet and sour sauce, and chutney to make quick meals for the rest of the year.) We plan to hit the farmer's market in mid-August and clean them out of tomatoes and cucumbers - at least 30 pounds of each. Oh, that will be a happy day.

No comments: