Wednesday, July 11, 2007

The Weekly Share

I really need to take my camera to the Farmer's Market next time I go. Full Sun Farm's stand is just SO gorgeous with the stacks and stacks of vegetables just picked from the ground. This is what I came home with today:

Carrots
Summer Squash 2#
Cucumbers 2#
Basil
Tomatoes 2#
Parsley
Bell Pepper
Onions 2#
Garlic

I was at a bit of a loss for what to do with all of it when I got home because we are leaving Friday for California. (Where my friend R also promises abundance from her farm share - with, gasp, fresh berries! We were hit by a hard frost in April that decimated all of our flowering plants - so very few local berries and apples for us this season.) I realized I could make a wonderful ratatouille with most of the list, and made so much that there was plenty to share with a friend who just had a baby. I plan to bring the carrots and cucumbers as an antidote to the stale confines of airports and planes that await us on Friday.

I am equally sad and excited about taking off this Friday. Sad that I will miss more of the tomatoes ripening on my vines, and the promise of fresh corn from my CSA next week, but also SO excited about my first trip to CA, and a bit of a break from my kitchen, where I have spent at least 2 hours a day preparing and storing all of our local bounty. Except for the tomatoes that I just slice, salt and eat, this is NOT fast food.


Here are pictures of some of the dishes I prepared this week. The ratatouille, gingered beets, and red cabbage cole slaw. Gorgeous, aren't they?




No comments: