Wednesday, February 7, 2007

My Vision Boards

Christine Kane (www.christinekane.com/blog) wrote a great post last week about vision boards. I got very excited and *knew* I wanted to do one with my mom. I emailed her CK's post and asked her if she'd like to do it with me. I thought the vision boards might be a helpful tool for both of us. I *knew* it would be fun for me. So I got the boards and some glue and showed up at my mom's house on Sunday. She has *hundreds* of beautiful magazines and we spent hours tearing out the pages. I tore out a lot of images of travel. I love to travel to far and distant lands, but have only made one short trip to NYC since my son was born almost 2 years ago. I've been wanting to visit my friends who live in Italy. My mom does not love that I love to travel. (I think she likes me to stay close and safe.) She expressed unhappiness when she saw that I was tearing out images of travel. I tried to address her concern in my usual ways, but it wasn't helping. Finally I said, "Yes, I am attracted to these images of travel, but I don't know if I am *attached* to them. Let's see what happens when I put the images I'm most drawn to on the board." That seemed to help. And lo and behold, the travel stuff *did not* end up on the board - family (enjoying the amazing and wonderful family I have and adopting a daughter from Latin America), home (raising chicks and renovating), quiet time for myself (meditation), and Oprah (!), did. Completing the vision board really helped me see that *I* am choosing not to manifest travel in my life right now. And it helped me make a contact this week with a woman I met last December who adopted her two children from Colombia. And the whole board just makes me feel very happy when I look at it. Additionally, I created another board for the book I have wanted to write for a long time and now it seems a whole lot closer, too. My mom didn't get to finish her board, but said she worked on it the next day and hopes to have it finished by the end of the week. I can't wait to see it. A big thank-you to Christine Kane for encouraging such an inspiring and meaningful project!

No comments: