Friday, March 20, 2009

Food Waste for the Week


No waste again this week. I think I'm getting the hang of this. I froze a large portion of the chili earlier this week and thus prevented the dreaded leftover fatigue of past weeks.

I love how this challenge has changed my habits: I wasn't so keen on menu planning in the past and I would buy items that looked good, that I thought I could pull into a meal, but often did not, creating waste.

I also had no compunction when it came to throwing out a less-than-prime piece of fruit - I could easily justify it by saying that the chickens would eat it. But this week I saw a soft spot on a grapefruit and instead of throwing it out (our chickens have never loved citrus anyway), I simply cut out the spot and we enjoyed it with dinner.

And finally, it has compelled me to stick to my menu plan. My husband and I were both tired last night and in the past I would have opted for take-out burritos or something. But I knew I had some chard that was going south and if I didn't use it quickly, it would go to waste. So I fixed the meal - in less time than it would have taken to get take-out - and I felt bolstered, by the good meal and the virtue of not wasting food or money, too.

No comments: