Sunday, May 10, 2009

What's Cooking 5.11-5.17

Our first week in the CSA starts this week (I am SO excited!) so I will probably change up my vegetable side dishes/salads by the end of the week. Judging by what our farm (special shout out to the wonderful folks of Full Sun Farm!) offered at the Farmers' Market on Saturday I think we can count on baby bok choy, kale, green leaf lettuce and radishes. I'll let you know on Wednesday how it turns out!

I bought 2 bunches of kale when I was there because I know we always use it up - usually in my morning vegetable/fruit juice. And I bought 7 tomato and 4 lettuce starter plants. I may be forgetting something but the total came to $20 even.

At Amazing Savings I bought 4 cucumber seedlings ($1.49) and the bulk of our groceries for $48.46. At Green Life, another of our pricey whole food shops, I bought 4 basil starter plants ($2.99) and 6 other items for $17.14.

Including the trip to the Farmers' Market, my grand total for the week is $85.60. I think that is great considering the total includes a bunch of plants that will be providing us with the most sustainable, organic, local and ethically produced (if you don't mind a little child labor) vegetables that can be found in these parts. :)


Here's what we're eating this week:

Monday:
Curried Vegetable Saute
Brown Rice

Tuesday: (I'm back in the hospital for a 24-hour shift.)
Leftovers

Wednesday:
Grilled Tofu Steaks with Veggie Kabobs
Brown Rice

Thursday:
Banana and Black Bean Empanadas
Stir-fried Spinach and Garlic

Friday:
Pizza with homemade crust and sauce
Roasted Peppers and Pepperoni
Green Salad

Saturday:
Very Easy Vegetarian Sloppy Joes
Homemade Whole Wheat Buns
Sweet Potato Oven "Fries"
Green Salad

Sunday:
Broccoli-Potato Strata
Spinach Salad

No comments: