Sunday, June 7, 2009

No Such Thing As Bad Weather, Part 2

When I wrote a post on this subject over a year ago, I was talking literally about what folks call bad weather.

When I hear people talking about the “current economic climate” like it’s bad weather I want to share one of my favorite life lessons that I learned from my sweet friend and Zen master, my dog Zoe, who died last year.

From Zoe I learned that there is no such thing as bad weather. Just inappropriate clothing.

If you are “experiencing some weather," remember: you can put on more appropriate attire simply by changing your thoughts.

I told my husband about the idea for this post and he looked at me skeptically and said that he didn't think the weather analogy was apt considering when weather is bad you can always go inside your house. But in the current economy people are losing their homes and have nowhere to go.

Let me be clear: Yes, challenging events will happen to everyone. And when they happen to others I have enormous compassion for their suffering.

When they happen to me, I want to focus as quickly as I can on the things that are going well in my life. I want to create more positive things. (For scientific evidence that backs up my approach to happiness you can read another recent post.)

So, to return to my (I think, very apt) analogy: the fastest and simplest way to change the weather is to create conditions that are favorable: Do something fun.

For me, one of the fastest ways to feel better is to listen to positive, uplifting songs. If they have a driving bass line, all the better.

One of my favorite songs is Mary J. Blige’s Just Fine and here are some of the lyrics:

Having a real good time, I'm not complaining
And I'ma still wear a smile if it's raining

I gotta enjoy myself regardless

I appreciate life, I'm so glad that it's mine.


This week I'm rejoicing in my ability to enjoy myself regardless. I'm rejoicing in my ability to appreciate life. I am so glad that it's mine.

And if you'd like to create the conditions for your own happiness, please consider my one-month E-Seminar.

You receive daily emails from me for a month: They include extensive lessons, tools and tips developed from the latest research in positive psychology. You are encouraged to submit your work from the exercises and you receive personal and in-depth feedback and support.

I had a blast developing it and it will be so much fun to share it with you!

No comments: